Eat Like a Princess - Merida - Empire Cookies
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups cake and pastry flour, sifted
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup raspberry jam
- Candied cherries or red icing (optional)
- 1 cup sifted icing sugar
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- 1 tbsp hot water, approximate
16 oz jar maraschino cherries
1/4 cup juice reserved from cherries
3/4 cup sugar
- Reserve 1/4 cup cherry juice in small bowl. Discard remaining juice from cherries. Remove stems. Set aside in small bowl.
- In a medium saucepan, combine reserved juice and sugar, cook over medium heat until sugar is dissolved 2-3 minutes whisking intermittently.
- Add cherries and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to simmer, cover, and cook to soft ball stage on a candy thermometer 234-240 °F (112-116 °C) about 45-55 min.
- Remove from heat when cherries are firm. Cool to room temp.
- In large bowl, beat butter with sugar until fluffy.
- Beat in egg and vanilla.
- In separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Stir into butter mixture in 3 additions.
- Shape the dough into a disc (it will be very soft).
- Wrap in plastic and chill in the fridge until firm, about 2 hours.
- On a lightly floured work surface, gently knead the dough just to soften it slightly.
- Roll out the dough to approximately ¼-inch thick and cut out cookies using a 2-inch cookie cutter.
- Place the cookies on the baking trays, leaving ½-inch between them.
- Bake in a 350°F oven until edges are light golden, about 10 minutes. Let cool completely on racks.
- While your cookies are baking and cooling, you can now make the icing topping. In small bowl, stir icing sugar with almond extract; drizzle in enough of the water to make spreadable icing.
- Once your cookies are cooled, stir the raspberry jam to soften and spread a little on a cookie bottom.
- Sandwich a second cookie on top, pressing gently to secure. Repeat with the remaining cookies.
- Spread your icing on top of each cookie sandwich.
- Top with a candied cherry.
- Let cookies stand until set, about 1 hour.
- Serve and enjoy!