Healthy Mouse - Cheesy Garlic Bagel Twist
Food is nourishment. Food is comfort. Food is memory. For some of us the relationship we have with food isn’t always the healthiest. To continue on my journey of self love, balance, and following my passions despite the deterioration of my career in home care physical therapy I started doing Weight Watchers with my sister. I was given the Purple Plan to follow. I truly believe that when you are on vacation you should be on vacation and enjoy everything without regret - including the food. Starting WW made me wonder, though, if I could bring that guilt-free Disney vacation mentality home. Could I make Disney treats that were both indulgent and low in WW points?
I started with an easy WW recipe used for bagels and pizza for inspiration: 2 ingredient dough. Flour. Greek yogurt.
The combination of flour and Greek yogurt is it’s own brand of magic. Add in some seasonings, leavener, and protein to bind and you’ve got a low calorie alternative!
Skinnytaste is an amazing site and set of cookbooks. The author also incorporates WW points on her recipes online. I tweeked her bagel recipe by adding garlic powder to the mix. Instead of a traditional ring, I created my own method for building the cheesy garlic twists. Using a pizza cutter I cut the dough into strips, sprayed with a bit of oil, and sprinkled with cheese (fat free, of course). I experimented with two methods. The first was stacking three layers and twisting them together. The second was covering wider strips with cheese, pinching the sides, and rolling over the edges before twisting them together. Just like the original inspiration Everything Bagel seasoning was sprinkled on top. Both methods yielded delicious bagels twists with a moderate garlic flavor and cheese interior, but I think the layered method was a bit lighter and crisper.
I served them with a side of marinara but my husband requested cream cheese “since it was a bagel.”
I am very excited for this new series and challenging of my skills in the kitchen. I did some experimenting with the recipe and definitely had some flops. Trial and error, people! Even Walt Disney had a few failures before he finally made the big time. I’ll be bringing more delicious magic before long!
Cheesy Garlic Bagel Twists (4 WW points)
Yield 4 twists
- 1 cup (5 oz) all purpose, white whole wheat, or 100% whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp
- 1 egg
- 1 cup fat free Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup fat free cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, salt and garlic powder.
- Add egg and Greek yogurt. Mix with a spatula until well combined.
- Turn dough out into a well floured surface and dust well with additional flour. Knead 15-20 times until dough is slightly tacky.
- Cut dough into two portions. Roll dough into rectangle about 1/4 inch thick. Cut 6 strips with knife for pizza cutter.
- Stray strips with a bit of cooking oil. Sprinkle 4 strips with fat free cheese. Stack strips with plan strip on top. Twist gently and use fingers to push together slightly. Lay on baking sheet and sprinkle with everything bagel seasoning.
- Bake 25 minutes. Enjoy warm with marinara sauce, ranch, or cream cheese!