Recipe Re:View - Churro Bites with Chocolate Sauce
Making the batter was easy to make following the instructions but a bit of an arm workout when adding the eggs since it cooled down a bit too much perhaps. I would definitely mix the eggs in at the 5 minute mark unless you're skipping arm day.
My favorite thing about this recipe was the instruction to fry the churro bites in a 1 quart sauce pan. I used my smallest sauce pan with 1.5 cups of oil and my trust deep fry thermometer. No wasted oil, significantly easier clean-up, and no mess! You can't fry larger churros in a small pan but for the bite-sized version they totally hit the mark with the pot to oil ratio. I piped the churro bites with a 1M tip about 1.5 to 2 inches long and cut them off the tip with a knife. Piping directly over the oil eliminated splashes completely. I tried to keep the oil between 320-350 degrees so the churros fried in 2-3 minutes with 3-6 in the pot.
This recipe makes enough for sharing - I gave a piping bag full of batter to a friend - and fed my husband an entire plate. These sweet, little things deserved something spicy so I made a chocolate dipping sauce infused with vanilla and cinnamon. Side note: don't leave milk chocolate chips on the counter directly above your dishwasher otherwise they will melt (these chips might have been destined for cookies otherwise)!
I love this recipe. So far the Disney chefs have been releasing some good stuff... I'll keep you posted as they release more.
- 1 cup water
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/4 cups vegetable or canola oil
- 1/2 cup sugar + 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (coating)
- 3/4 cup semi-sweet or milk chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2/3 cup of sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (5 oz) can of evaporated milk
- Combine water, butter, salt, and cinnamon in 1 ½-quart saucepan over medium heat. Bring pot to rolling boil.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Add flour and stir vigorously until mix forms a ball. Remove from heat and let rest for 5-7 min.
- Add eggs, one at a time, and stir until combined. Set aside.
- Heat oil in medium skillet or 1-quart saucepan over medium-high heat or until temperature reaches 350˚.
- Spoon dough into piping bag fitted with large star tip. Pipe 1-inch strip of dough over saucepan, cut with knife, and drop into hot oil. Repeat until churro bites fill saucepan with room to fry.
- Fry churro bites until golden brown. Remove with slotted spoon or mesh spider strainer.
- Drain churro bites on paper towel.
- Mix sugar and ½ teaspoon cinnamon in medium bowl. Toss in churro bites until coated. Place on serving plate and serve with favorite dipping sauce.
- For chocolate sauce: melt chocolate and butter in a medium sauce pan over medium-low eat. Whisk until smooth. Add cinnamon and vanilla and stir until combined. Alternate adding sugar and evaporated milk whisking constantly until smooth, simmer on low for 5-8 minutes. Allow to cool for a few minutes before serving.