Disney Eats - Big Hero 6 Umami Wings
First recipe up for the month is inspired by food from the Polynesian Resort in Walt Disney World. Coriander Chicken Wings (also known as Aunt Cass’ wings from Big Hero 6) are my go to recipe. The spice mix is super flavorful even without the additional sauce. To make it keto I only need to substitute the sugar for Swerve and I’m good to go!
I love making chicken wings in our air fryer. It is by far the easiest and tastiest way to do it. I cook the wings in 2-3 batches at 400 degrees for 16 minutes. The wings come out with a crispy skin and moist, juicy interior. A good tip for the air fryer is cooking for 18 minutes for the first batch (including the warm up time) and then 16 for subsequent batches one the air fryer is hot!
The spice mix for the wings can be easily adjusted to your family’s preferences. I often switch out the cinnamon or turmeric for coriander if I’m not saucing them. 2 lbs of wings will feed four people if you’re having sides - if not my husband and I can take care of 2 lbs of wingettes easily. Mini Mouse also loves these wings and will eat three herself! I use a fork to strip the skin and bones from the meat and serve to her with tots and dipping sauces.
I’d love to hear if you tried these wings with your family, and I want to know if you loved them!
Polynesian Coriander Wings
Yield 2-4 servings
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic or 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 pounds chicken wings or drummettes
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1 cup honey
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Mix spices and oil in large bowl with whisk until well combined. Add wings and toss to combine. Marinate for 1 hour.
- Heat air fryer to 400 degrees F and cook for 16-18 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add water, soy sauce, honey and lime juice to small sauce pan. Whisk to combine and heat over medium low. Add spices and whisk to combine. Simmer for 5 minutes then add corn starch and continue simmering until thickened as desired. Remove from heat and cool slightly.
- Drizzle sauce over wings and toss. Enjoy!